BibleGateway Verse of the Day (KJV)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Spare-Tire Concept of God

I've found it helpful from time to time to stop and evaluate my thoughts about God and how I treat Him. Do I fly off the handle without thinking of God first and what He would have me do? Do I try to tackle tough decisions without praying to God for wisdom or without trying to discern His will for me from His Word? Do I rejoice or take pleasure in something without giving God gratitude and glory? Do I question Him over a circumstance in my life?

I have to admit that I've had to repent over and over and even today--several times--of putting God away from my thoughts when I would have been far better off to have remembered Him and His love and His words to me (in Scripture), and "use" Him in the normal course of life.

Here is a quote from R.J. Rushdoony on this wicked "spare-tire" concept of God:

"The spare-tire concept of God, as Otto Piper pointed out some years ago, is very prevalent. A spare-tire is not normally used; in fact, it is highly desirable if it is never necessary to use it. However, common sense requires that a man carry a spare-tire and always avoid being without one. For many people, God is a spare-tire, not to be used normally and an annoyance if required, but a good thing to have in case of trouble."





--Rousas John Rushdoony, from Salvation and Godly Rule, Ross House Books, 1983, p. 10

No comments: